Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lost in Translation

7 March: 

I love seeing people walk down the street with snowboots, skis and snowboards in their hands. 

I learn so much everyday. Honestly only thing I don't like about IBK is that a majority of people smoke. Other than that, this city has by far surpassed my expectations in so many ways. 

Had to go to a Cafe for class this morning.
Our server
We were to take notes and try specific things on the menu.
Cakes in the window outside
My kind of homework! 

More sweets
Latte Macchiato and a Krapfe

I gave in and bought a bus pass at lunch time. I was told since my bus lines runs very often, the "police" are on it a lot and apparently check for my pass. I still only managed to pay for the bus three times since being here. I'm curious to see how many times I must show my pass this semester! Atleast my pass is good for the tram up the mountain!

We learned about Austrian music the second half of class.
Enjoyed a nice pizza slice for one euro.  

Hung out with Gillen from Spain, walked about the city some and went home to cook yet another Italian meal! 
Class at tourism campus (MCI 3) tomorrow! 


8 March: 

Even the most minimal things like riding the bus or going grocery shopping is an adventure. Always something interesting to see. Random crazy products that we should have in the states (blueberry white chocolate, dark chocolate with ginger). They even have mayo in toothpaste looking tubes. Makes sense though. Who wants to scrape it out of the jar. Actually who wants mayo in the first place. 

Currently on the bus to MCI 3 which I've never been to. Another adventure to pursue. Tonight I must must must do laundry. I would have done this earlier, but we need a special card with a chip oh it to activate the machines. 

1 million kids just got on the bust at the same stop. Not exaggerating. I'll take a picture to prove it. Hope that picture turns out well. Pretending not to be claustrophobic right now. We stopped at the stop, I saw one million kids and they are charged through the doors like there was a million euros on the bus. 
Too many kids
 I'm meeting with my group this morning to work on a presentation and paper we have due on Friday. Then at two, my Austrian Society and Culture class will resume. What are we doing today in class you ask? Why cooking an authentic Austrian meal of course. Schnitzel and apple strudel. 

MCI 3 Campus up on the mountain!
Flipping Pancakes
We made everyone from scratch. Flour. Eggs. Dough. Bread Crumbs. Peeled potatoes. Peeled apples. Pretty good I must say! Typical Austrain meal! Potato salad, schnitzel, apple strudel. 
Our finished meal
We made everyone from scratch. Flour. Eggs. Dough. Bread Crumbs. Peeled potatoes. Peeled apples. Pretty good I must say! Typical Austrain meal! Potato salad, schnitzel, apple strudel. 

Our homemade apple strudel cooking!

Had a great cooking class!

Is it ironic that I went running on Fat Tuesday? Pierre from France went running with me. Another great run. 5k. Very fast pace with a three minute  sprint at the end. Insanity but awesome. We ran along the river at night.

Had dinner with everyone on my floor today. I love that we cook and eat together. The conversations are always so entertaining. Stefan from Bulgaria says he will pook if he rides the elevator. Hilarious. 

Today is carnival here and everyone is dressed up and ready to party!  People are soooo drunk. City is trashed. Back to normal tomorrow? Yes, they were already cleaning up the streets. Will probably be spotless tomorrow.

Went into town tonight and hung out at the pub. Seriously saw over ten people I knew there. Randomly ran into Nathan there. Met two girls from Oregon who teach english in Germany. Didn't have any drinks because I have class all day tomorrow and have to wake up early. Can't believe that march is pretty much the only month I have class here. Get it over with it first and then time for travel and whatever else I choose to do. 



9 March: 

I'd like to start off the day letting you know that I survived not one, but two plane crashes last night in my dream. What a relaxing night of sleep! 

On the bus yet again (this is where I update my blog the most) to day three of Austrian Culture and Society. I'm curious to see how many students show up this morning after the shindigs last night. 

Only a few were missing from class today, despite many being out until 3 am! Had to do two different presentations today and we also went a museum here in Innsbruck. Pretty interesting, especially since we all just did presentation on these artists and then thirty minutes later we got to see their original artwork. 

I have been productive tonight. First load of laundry which was an experience. All in german, but I managed! My clothes are clean and smell good. Should have dried them longer, but now I just have clothes hanging all around my room for the night! Will perfect the washing situation next time! Also went to the supermarket tonight (if you say grocery shopping they get really confused). Got a lot of good food which I need to go cook soon. An old Austrian lady came up to me and spoke some German words. I was absolutely clueless for the first two seconds. I smiled and then she pointed to what she wanted high up on the shelf so I got it for her. She said “Danke” (Thank you) and I said “Bitte” (You’re welcome). She never even knew that I know very few German words! 
  
Also partly finished a paper and a powerpoint presentaion due Friday. Half day of class tomorrow and then class all day again Friday, then the weekend! I’m perfectly fine having school all of March. Might as well get it all over with now!

I have a new goal of learning 3 German words each day. We shall see how it goes! I just want to be conversational in German by the time my program is over.  

Inn River

1 comment:

  1. I'm confused about how "following" works on here, sorry...but it looks like I'm following you from two different accounts because I couldn't how to sign in. Anyway, I like this last picture. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete