Monday, February 28, 2011

Akademikerhilfe

 
Magic Pizza

After the pizza last night, we headed back to the hostel. Hung out there, spent time with two guys from South Korea and the girls from Illinois. Megan and I eventually decided we would go to bed early so that we would get enough sleep and wake up early. Well let’s just say I slept from 9 to midnight. Woke up at midnight and was not tired at all. Felt like  I just took a nap and was ready for the rest of the day. So we all ended up hanging out until about 2 a.m. and then Megan and I eventually fell asleep after laughing for another hour.


28 Feb 2011: Moving Day
Woke up this morning, had our last breakfast at the café downstairs and met Johanna to begin our moving day! We took two trips as our luggage would not fit in a small European car! We got Megan moved in very easily and quickly, returned back to the hostel, checked out, and got my luggage to make our way to my apartment for the next five months; Akademikerhilfe. Honestly have no idea how to pronounce it yet. After arriving here, checked in quickly, got my key, and dropped my luggage off. Next stop, Ikea! We already knew there were certain things we needed for the room such as sheets, pillows, comforter, etc. Got quite a lot at Ikea and managed to spend little money. 



After awhile in Ikea we decided to have lunch at an Italian restaurant. Wow. The pasta was quite tasty. It wasn’t heavy and extremely filling like pasta in America. Fresh ingredients. Really enjoyed the lunch and even saved some for dinner tonight. Did a little grocery shopping after, got some laundry detergant and body wash. 



Made our way back to my apartment and beging unpacking everything! There is plenty of space in my room. I still need to get a few things, and most importantly hang stuff up on the walls. I will post a much better picture of my room when it’s completely finished. You get the idea now though. 

416
 

Oh did I mention that I have a horrible view… I face the garbage and big industrial plant. I'm going to have to keep my curtains and windows closed pretty much all the time. So noisy and ugly. I guess I know my Cailtlyn disliked this place so much when she was here. Take a look at these pictures…

Looking left out my window.

Looking straight out my window.

Looking to the right out my window.
Oh wait, I have an unbelievable view!!!! I keep noticing more and more mountains! I’m on the top floor of our building, which is great. I know I’m going to love living here.

After unpacking everything, I met a some students living here in the apartment (Thailand and Bulgaria). They seemed very nice. Stefan from Bulgaria immediately asked if I was training for a competition, which was interesting. I told him I enjoy being active and love to run. Haha! Few students are here currently as school doesn’t start until March 7th for most. I however have orientation this week starting Wednesday. The internet works very well here in my room which is a relief.


If you would like to send me something in the mail (which I highly suggest you do!), I now know my official address.



Akademikerhilfe
Matt Hendrix
Schutzenstrasse 43/416
A-6020 Innsbruck, Austria Europe

Tomorrow will be another productive day as Johanna is taking us to register here in Austria and also set up our bank account so that we can pay for our housing and phone bill each month. (Both cheaper than in the states!) I should then get my phone officially set up with internet and more calling minutes and texting for the month. Also plan on running around the area tomorrow afternoon to become more familiar.

I will be taking the bus for the first time tomorrow, so we shall see how that goes! Should be an adventure. Once I buy a bike, it will only take me about 15 minutes to get to downtown Innsbruck. Not bad at all. Exercise and save money!  Looking forward to getting to know more people in my dorm, become familiar with this area of town, and the bus routes. Just a matter of time. Everything during my trip thus far is exceeding my expectations.

1 comment:

  1. You goofball.... EVERY view from an Akademikerhilfe window is a good view :D

    ReplyDelete