Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Another trip begins.. Guatemala!

Sunday October 2, 2011:
Took the train to Chicago. Once there took the blue line to the airport and slept a bit in the airport before my crazy early flight that took off at 5 am! Definitely slept on my flights down to Central America, had a quick layover in Ft. Lauderdale.

Monday, October 3rd.
Met my couchsurfer at airport. I swear I love couchsurfing. He is from Colombia working for the United Nations for a year here in Guatemala City. Two of his friends are here visiting so we are going to hang out while he is at work later.

I've already spoken a lot of Spanish!! We went for a really nice lunch at a good restaurant. Amazing how cheap it is here. I had a chicken breast, pesto pasta and a snapple for 6.50. We rode in a taxi downtown which took about 15 mins and only cost about 8 dollars total. You're money can go a long way here. The currency is calle Quetzal and about 8q is one dollar. 

Going downtown to Explore. Saw the markets. Very nice. Guatemalans are so friendly it seems. 
Central Square in Guatemala City


Shot taken in the taxi

Worn down buildings

A bird will pick your fortune!


Fruit stand- Lychee. Quite tasty!

More produce for sale.
First impressions of Guatemala: Definitely a third world but not in certain parts. Some places are quite nice and fairly modern. Jorge lives in Zona 14, the high rises of Guatemala. Amazing view of the mountains from his living room. When flying in I saw a lot of shacks with tin roofs. The people here seem to be quite happy for the most part, although of course I don't know about their actual situations.

The buses look crazy and traffic is pretty bad during rush hours. It also rained quite a bit today, although it is rainy season! 

Took a MUCH needed nap this afternoon. Now getting things organized and figuring out exactly what I'm going to do! Hoping to go hike a volcano or head to the coast. There are so many volcanoes here in Guatemala!

Met Jorge's flatmate from Belgium and another friend of his from Guatemala. They were giving me advice on places to go, what to do and not to do. I tell you, no reason to plan. Just stay with a couchsurfer and keep planning your trip from there! I'm hoping to go to another city, Antigua and spend a few nights there. Heard it's surrounded by mountains and volcanoes which I'm telling you I'm going to hike one!

Just very excited to get some real sleep tonight and be fresh for tomorrow. New iPhone announcement tomorrow too!

Tuesday Oct 4th, 2011.

New iPhone4s announcement! Preorder now. Got some great rest last night!! 
View from the apartment

Been planning a lot of things today! Going to meet up with another CS to see more of the city. Jason, one of my best friends, booked his flights down here and I'm going to Antigua tomorrow! A lot happening! Jason and I will travel together for two weeks which I'm really looking forward to!

Had a great day here in Guatemala City. I met Jorge and some of his coworkers today for some coffee. Then I finally got money out of the ATM, I hadn't spent a dollar until today! I walked around a bit, and then had lunch at a nice place. You have no idea how cheap stuff is. It was a very nice restaurant, I got soup, Horchata (drink made from rice and milk and cinnamon, muy bien!), salad, rice, chicken, tortillas, and a coffee after dinner. How much did all this cost? 35 Quetzal... Sounds expensive? Approximately 6 dollars!! How is that even possible.
Where my CS works

A lot of food for very cheap.
Then I came back to the apartment, called a CS and made plans for dinner. Took a taxi into the center of the city again. Took about 20 minutes in a cab and cost seven dollars. Pretty reasonable for a taxi I'd say! The busses are much cheaper, but are very crowded and I wouldn't know where exactly I was going! Went to the central mercado. Bought a few souvenirs, nothing major, enjoyed walking around, took some photos and even got a smoothie! Cost less than a dollar, I can't get over it! 
Cool buildings

Can't believe I'm in Guatemala!

Center square again

Lots of pigeons

Time for a liquado! (Smoothie)
Smoothie was really good too and it came in a plastic bag with a straw! Started to get dark so I immediately got a taxi home. Have been told many times that its relatively safe, but shouldn't risk being alone so I took a taxi back. Got the coolest taxi driver! We literally spoke spanish for like 25 minutes. It was rush hour and A LOT of cars on the street. We had funny conversations and he even complimented me on my spanish. I was surprised! Eventually made it back and he said he enjoyed talking to me and then I left and went into the apartment. Halfway up the elevator I realized I left my bag with all my souvenirs in it!! Of course I was too late when I went back down. It wasn't even more than 5 dollars of souvenirs but I honestly forgot it because I was busy practicing my spanish. I told the security guards downstairs everything that happened in Spanish and they said they would call the apartment if he returned with the bag. I'm not getting my hopes up of course, I mean it wasn't expensive or a lot, but you never know!

They have billboards that say : Si bebe. No maneje.(If you drink, don't drive, but it rhymes in spanish so more clever!)

Great dinner, cheap again for everything I got. I love those horchatas! Met the other CS Marcos, went to a bar and met about ten of his friends! Everyone was dancing and having a great time! They all get together each Tuesday night because they all have a twitter, like a community. I told him if that happened in the US nearly everyone would show up. Not so common here. We got searched to see if we had weapons when we got into the bar.

Tomorrow morning we are going to Antigua! He is going to drive me there and then I'm going to end up either staying at one of his friends house who is also a CS or going to stay in a hostel! I've heard A LOT of great things about Antigua. Looking forward to it!

Such nice and friendly people. Smiling.

5 October 2011. 
Couchsurfing!

About to head to Antigua with another couchsurfer! 

Antigua is great! So glad to be here. Much nicer and safer than Guatemala City for sure. Marcos and I walked around, went in museums, old church ruins, had breakfast, and researched some hostels for me to stay in!
Welcome to Antigua!

Icon of Antigua

Great breakfast!
Beautiful colors- this is what the entire city looked like!



Fountain in the main park

Very old ruins!


Read that!!

Get me out of there!

Keep the tradition going! Had to plank!

Ahh!!

 Nice terrace

Old Convent- each door was a room!

Store

Intricate masks

Flowers and volcanos

We went to the top of this giant hill that overlooked the city that had a restaurant and a bunch of art. It was really cool and an awesome view of the Volcano Agua.
Art

Great view in that chair!

View from our table!

Chicken pizza!

Surrounded by volcanoes
I ended up getting room in the Jungle Party hostel. Pretty much amazing!! They have a bar, full kitchen, lounge area, golden retriever dog, courtyard area with hammocks. Absolutely love it. I have a room with 4 bunk beds... guess how many people are staying in my room? NO ONE! Got it to myself. All my stuff is safe in my locker, I'm very happy here!
View down the street
Sign I liked
The Jungle Party!

Another view down the street

Ruins a block from the Jungle Party!


Church at night

My room!

Antigua at night

Met a lot of people already here at the hostel! Switzerland, Sweden, USA, Israel, UK. So fun meeting new people and sharing travel stories! Absolutely love it! Ending up talking for over 5 hours!! Some of them are taking spanish classes down here. Others are just traveling for fun. Eventually we got really hungry and it was after 11 so we went to the only place in town serving food- a lady under a tent making tortillas and meat on the grill. We had a tortilla filled with cheese topped with guacomole and salsa. Pretty dang good! Going to get some rest, excited for another fun day here in Antigua!

6 October 2011.

Wow did I sleep well. It was like a cave, so dark in my room! Comfortable bed and a much needed rest. Woke up a bit before ten, sat in my hammock outside my room, ordered my free breakfast and Guatemalan coffee- how could today not be a good day? Sat in the hammock for well over an hour- probably two actually. Sent CS requests, did some research and eventually got ready for the day.
This is the life
Decided to go to another cafe after I was walking around the city a bit. Got a chai tea- can you believe it? Then started my mission for the day- climb the hill that overlooks the city. Cerro de la cruce. I walked for about 30 minutes from my hostel and got the most amazing view. Stayed there for awhile.
My favorite coffee sleeve

So happy!

Chicken Bus!

Hike up the hill

View of the city

Volcano lurking in the background

Love this

La Cruce
Forgot to mention- yesterday was McDia Felez which is a big celebration at all the McDonalds in Guatemala apparently. There were literally bands outside of McDonalds! All the money spent on Big Macs that day goes towards a charity. I walked in the McdDonalds today, just to see what it looked like. Take a look! 
This is McDonalds!! Not kidding!!
Also went to the market today, I walked through part of it yesterday, but I didn't know it was large. Keeps going on and on! I bought apples and almonds for my big expedition tomorrow. 
Hilarious shirts!

The streets of Antigua


Lunch and postcards. Love it.

Dangerous?

More buildings at night!
Back at the hostel with friends. Decided to hang out and have fun tonight despite having to wake up at 5 am to catch a bus to hike a volcano!  Bus will pick me up early and then we will hike to nearly the top of Volcano Pacaya! I'm excited for that! 

Went to dinner with my new friends here and hopefully going to bed somewhat early tonight... if not I guess I can always nap in the hammock tomorrow!


Jungle Party Plank

My amigos!

Maria nervous!

Doing pretty well here!

It's still going up..up...

And down...



7 October 2011.
Volcano Pacaya! So great! Get ready for A LOT of photos!They explain it pretty well!

There are volcanoes everywhere you look!

We made it to the park!

You could take horses to the top

Adorable Guatemalan child- trying to sell us a stick


Hike up!
Apparently that's the way to San Francisco?

Peeling oranges
Volcano Fuego


Another view

Getting cloudy


Near the top


Shelter

Looks like the end of the world


CLIMBING LAVA!


I'm on a volcano!

Volcano Plank

It's going to blow..


Just kidding!

Love this



Don't mess with me- I have lava chunks in my hand!
Volcano sauna anyone?

Trying to withstand the heat and smile

It was seriously very hot!
Guess what time it is!?!?


Roasting marshmallows!!

Yum!!
Rocks
The very top
Volcano Plank 2
Love this
These kids literally wanted to jump up and down for over thirty minutes!

So we did!


Cute kids!

Had a lot of fun!

Probably their house

After such a hike, I worked up an appetite and ate at the hamburger place in town I was suggested.
Don't worry! It's a vegetarian burger!

Took a much needed nap after exerting all that energy!

Hung out at the hostel some more. Met a lot more people. Met Alex and his cousin Ben from Yukon in Canada.
The lobby area
We all eventually went out. Crepe Place. About one block from our hostel on the same street. How should I explain it? SO DELICIOUS!
Mmmmm! Crepes!

I lost that watch! And this girl from Belgium got a tattoo of Born This Way lyrics- her story was hilarious! She said the sun was shining, she was listening to it on her ipod, in a great mood, went home, got the lyrics and got a tattoo!

Dancing with friends!

Went out to a club, danced a bit. Didn't stay out too late as we had a bike excursion the next morning!

8 October 2011.
Bike excursion with friends!
No idea what I'm getting myself into

Before picture..

Beans!

Look at the trails we are riding on!

DANGEROUS!

This is not what I signed up for!

Coffee plantation!!

Putting coffee beans into my Coffee of Guatemala bag- makes sense right?

Pretty much a Starbucks plantation- not kidding
On a side not- look at this picture. I took it just a few days ago after being back in the USA. Starbucks selling Antigua Guatemala coffee! All the coffee shops down there told me that the plantation owners make more money exporting their own coffee, so getting authentic quality Guatemalan coffee there is hard as the small business owners can't afford it! 

He literally fell back into this hole because a man with an old bike was dragging a log behind it so we stepped back to get out of his way and he fell into this hole! Hilarious!

Then things kept going downhill..literally. Major bike wreck.

Not just one accident...



But three major accidents! It was not a Sunday stroll through the park!

And look how friendly their advertisement is!

After picture- Angus not so happy after his accident!

Not what we expected by any means. Hilarious trip nonetheless!
Antigua rooftops

Oct 9:
Had breakfast in the morning. Then Clara and I took our spontaneous trip to Lago de Atitlan- about three hours away. Destination: San Pedro.
First views of the lake!

Most amazing hotel for ourselves. Literally five dollars for the night with a private bathroom and shower on the lake. Insanity.
Giant room and the entire floor to ourselves!

So happy!

Right outside the hotel- we were on the edge of "town"

Walked around. Burrito Factory on the lake. So delicious.
Burrito Factory Deck!

Amazing views

Couldn't stop taking photos!

This is only half of the large burrito! So glad Clara and I shared!

Freshly squeezed OJ!

Dock Plank

Swam in the lake. Yoga on the terrace of our hotel for over an hour. Such an amazing setting and relaxing experience.

Walked to a coffee place; Cafe Atitlan. Highly recommended. Clara and I spent hours there just talking, having coffee, talking about life, eating our green tofu curry, planning our dream Eco hostel in the jungle/rainforest. Started raining and it was so relaxing.

Now at another restaurant, Hummus Ya. Having wine and chocolate, writing postcards, and listening to a lil band here. Such a great relaxing day. 
Wine, Chocolate, and Postcards. Heaven.

Decided we would go back to Antigua tomorrow night to head to El Salvador the next morning! Had to make our way to El Salvador eventually since Jason was flying in there in a few days! Clara decided to travel along with me since we were both going in the same direction! 

Oct 10;
Woke up to an even more amazing view than the day before. 

GOOD MORNING!!
Boat going past

How could you get sick of this?

Washing clothes

Another volcano

After sitting in the hammock a bit, Clara and I took a little path through farms and Spanish schools to eventually reach our favorite little place; Cafe Atitlan. Great view again- Iced coffee. Espresso. Waffles. And of course some chocolate made in San Pedro.

Path to the most delicious and adorable cafe!

Love it!
We took a boat ride over to another little town that surrounds the lake; San Marcos. An even smaller town with a lot of character. 
Look very closely to the mountain in the background. Called La Nariz (The nose). It's a face lying on it's back just like me. See it?? Look closely! I


Loving life as always.


Look at his canoe!

I see a deck over there!!
Walked around, eventually made it to this preserve where there is a deck you can jump off of into the lake. Great way to truly wake up and get some adrenaline pumping through your veins!
We made it to the deck!


I'm FALLING!!

Don't worry- I survived!

Diving into the refreshing lake


Love this so much!

Swimming back to shore! See the floating rocks?

After a lot of jumps and swimming, we wanteded hike more of the preserve. 
The photo I took...

The amazing photo Clara took of me taking that picture! Hers turned out much better!

We asked the four other people there what time it was, only to be answered with hand signals and no speaking. We thought that was a bit weird, but we eventually got the time. They were all writing in journals having a relaxing time. Clara and I had been screaming jumping off this deck, taking photos, talking and having a great time. On our hike we stumbled upon La Casa de Silencia. (The Silent House) It was a retreat for people to go to and relax and apparently think about life etc- Clara and I couldn't stop laughing because we were so oblivious to what these people were going through down there and we were having a great time talking jumping and screaming!

The Silent House!!

Coconut for us!
Had a giant coconut for a drink and Clara ran into her boyfriend in San Marcos!! They both were taking time to travel and knew they were both in Guatemala but didn't know where. Small world as always!

It was then time for lunch: sun dried tomato mozzarella and avocado sandwich with freshly squeezes lemonade. 

Took the boat back to San Pedro. Showered and then got the freshest juice from a little bar setup down the road! My first drink was pineapple, orange and a hint of ginger. So good! Had to go get Clara and return! Angelica was running the little bar; we talked to her for about thirty minutes in Spanish after ordering another drink. She has family working in Montana and doesn't believe the world is going to end in December 2012.
My favorite juice bar ever!

Awesome coffee table made out of coffee beans!

Hummus Ya during the day!
Had to take the bus back to Antigua for the night- what a bus ride. I knew what to expect, but for some reason it was so much worse. Bumpiest road in the world you could imagine. Nearly got car sick with so many turns and bumps and inhaling fumes from busses in front of us. Thankfully stopped halfway through, got some queso tortillas and coconut cookies! Felt much better. Made it to Antigua- had to get a new reservation for the night. Slept upstairs in the loft with about 30 beds!

Went to dinner with friends for my last night there. Had Pad Thai and Thai Iced Tea- very good. Followed by chai tea for dessert and back to the hostel to see a slideshow of pics taken so far! Got some rest for another exciting day.

Oct 11:
Got ready quickly, made a Chai Tea run, had fruit and granola for breakfast and caught our shuttle to El Tunco El Salvador! Looking forward to another place. My best friend; Jason flies in tomorrow night to travel with me for a few weeks! Can't wait to catch up with him. I havent seen him since he dropped me off at the airport for me to leave for my study abroad adventure in Europe!

What you can expect to see on a bus ride in Central America: volcanos, chicken busses, giant potholes, cows crossing the street, very bad living conditions, people selling things in the middle of nowhere. Passing on turns. Twenty people in the bed of a truck. Bikes right on the road. A lot of dangerous and unacceptable things that you would never see in the states.

Overall impression of Guatemala: 

 Loved it. Absolutely loved it. Highly suggest it. Your money goes a long way, the people are friendly, and as long as you are aware of your surroundings and don't make stupid decisions (walking down an alley alone at night, flaunting valuable electronics, etc) you will be absolutely fine. 

2 comments:

  1. Ran across your blog while doing some research and Wow! What an adventure! I hope you don't mind if I follow your blog. Thank you for sharing such an amazing experience and beautiful pictures!

    -ST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following it! Glad you enjoyed it!! Try to update each adventure I go on! Another one beginning soon! Feel free to share the blog with others!

      Delete