Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Wien österreich

May 30
 
Took very early train to Wein (Vienna Austria!). Studied most of the way, then took subway to the hotel and checked into our hotel. 


Then began a city tour with a guide. Found out some interesting facts about Vienna. Too bad I don't remember most of them. The President of Austria doesn't need crazy security. He can just walk down the street and it's not big deal.

St. Stepehen's Cathedral
Impressive roof
Inside, great lighting with the stained glass windows.
Reflection of St. Stephen's
One of the places where Mozart lived
Main street
Megan and I
Millennium Force logo anyone?
 During our tour, we made a stop right by a Starbucks, it was killing me not being able to go in. Then Ben (awesome American guy from South Carolina) and I spotted another Starbucks about fifteen minutes later. We snuck off and got our caramel macchiatos. Addicted Americans! 
Then had dinner with new the Americans! Had spinach dish which was great, then we all had an amazing drink; raspberries, wine, proseecco, and mineral water. Refreshing and delicious! 
Caroline and I
Then I had to rush back to the hotel to change real quick for the Opera. Someone made it back super fast, despite not knowing exactly where I was going and had to make a transfer in the underground.

Changed clothes and went to the Opera at seven. 
Opera House

Ally, Megan, and I
 Interesting to say the least. Pretty much what I expected, for the most part. Wasn't just one fat lady singing the whole time though. Haha, quite intense singing though. It was in Italian, yet I was in Austria, where they speak German, but I speak English.. What's wrong with that? Haha!
View from balcony
Pretty impressive

Orchestra
Honestly I couldn't stay the entire time, not my cup of tea. I left at intermission 1 1/2 hours into it. 
Look at all the modes of transportation in one pic!
Most exciting point of the day, seeing fellow UCF who are studying abroad here in Vienna! I met up with Jamie and Katie and an Australian. We walked around and went to their favorite spots. 
Katie and I. UCF Rosen students in Austria!
 Was great to talk with them and see how much they are loving Europe as well. Another tour tomorrow morning and then I'm meeting up with Clara who studies here in Vienna, but went to UCF last year for her study abroad program! Small world. Looking forward to seeing her again! 

Vienna is good though. Pretty much what I expected. Large European city. I like it. 

31 May: 

Went to Schonbrunn Palace, quite impressive. Over 1000 rooms. Tons of history there. 


Giant gardens. Found out why it's called a flea market, poor would not bathe back in old days and they would go to the flea market where monkeys would get the lice and fleas out of their hair! Hence the name Flea Market!
Fountain behind the Palace
Thanks to Ben for this pic
 Too bad we couldn't stay in Vienna longer as the Philharmonic Orchestra was giving a free concert two nights later in the gardens of the Schonbrunn Palace.

 After visiting the palace, I got on the U4 to meet Clara and then went to Modul University to have lunch with Jamie and Katie! 

Clara picked me up and we drove up the mountain to Modul which overlooked the city!! Had lunch with a lot of other students.
Clara and I
Three UCF students hanging out in Vienna
 Went down into the city. Told Clara I at least wanted to see this old amusement park in the city of Vienna, called Prater. It's basically an amusement park/permanent carnival. A lot of fun!!! 
Excited to ride a roller coaster again!

Ready to ride!

You have no idea how long I was HANGING on this board until the old man took the photo!

Just for you Jason!


Scary man took this photo!
Fun!

Great photo

Then went into the city center and could not park in this garage because we has a diesel car!!! Hilarious!!! We were all the way down in this garage and had to turn around! Europe sure is green. Walked around and had iced coffee and a traditional Vienna cake. 

Then rode through the shipping district and Clara dropped me off at the train station, I hate saying goodbyes!! Had a great great great time with her! Always laughing together! Can't wait to see her again someday! 

Bought snacks for the train and now studying all the train ride back to IBK. 

Exam tomorrow morning, then packing for my trip to Switzerland and Europa Park in Germany! Then finally hanging with friends and leaving Thursday morning with Lisa for another couchsurfing adventure.

Train ride dragged on a bit. Had an hour stop in the middle of nowhere. Finally made it back to IBK. Much needed rest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment